DOES RUSSIAN ECONOMY NEED VALUE ADDED CHAINS?
Alexander Shokhin, President Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP)
Natalia Volchkova, Vice-Rector for Research, All-Russian Academy of Foreign Trade and Economic Development of the Russian Federation
Global Value Chains (GVCs) reflect the modern architecture of international trade and industrial cooperation. Participation in the GVC creates opportunities for industrial development, as well as the development of service sectors at different stages of the formation of the value of products, provides access for national companies to the markets of many countries of the world. Cooperation within the framework of the GCDC, taking into account the established and developing formats of international production specialization, allows countries to realize the potential of their national sectors of the economy. For Russia, deepening participation in the GVC is an important factor in achieving national development goals.
At the micro level, the competitiveness of a business in relation to the sales market determines the possibility of its participation in the GCDS. In turn, the competitiveness of a business depends on the quality of the business environment in which it operates. For most Russian companies, the most important environmental factors are formed at the regional level. A number of regions have already accumulated successful experience in various formats of companies' participation in GVCs, however, it has not yet been possible to scale successful practices to other regions.
Issues for discussion:
• How to assess the relative contribution of the region and the federal level to the formation of a business environment conducive to the inclusion of regional businesses in GVCS?
• How does regional economic policy affect business competitiveness?
• Do regions need companies to participate in GVCs?
• Can the localization of industrial assembly become the basis for the region's export-oriented growth?
• What resources do the regions have to create a modern transport and logistics infrastructure - a key link within segmented GVCs?
• What prevents all regions from repeating best practices?