CAN A UNIVERSITY BE A REGIONAL GROWTH POINT?
Evgeniy Szhenov, Scientific Director of the Expert-Analytical Center "Scientific And Educational Policy"
Vladimir Bogatyrev, Rector, Samara National Research University named after academician S.P. Korolev
Today it is impossible to imagine a successful region outside the context of human capital development. Will a constituent entity of the Federation be able to attract the best personnel, and moreover to attract rather than retain. The intellectual potential of a region can become a driver of its development, scientific, technological, socio-cultural, only in the case of positive cooperation and partnership with leading universities, research centers, and corporations and large companies operating in the territory. Unlike large companies and corporations that build interaction with the region most often from the standpoint of an “older brother” who can provide assistance and support, universities can become a real partner of the regional leadership in developing and implementing regional development programs.
Issues for discussion:
• Who is the main one in the partnership between the university and the region? Who sets the development agenda? How does the rector and the governor see their role in the "joint project" for the development of the region?
• How can the region interest those who will become the driver of the territory's development?
• How can the university participate in the development of the region of presence?
• How can the region capitalize on the intellectual potential of the university?
• Is a new regulation necessary for the implementation of serious and large-scale regional development projects on the basis of partnership between a constituent entity of the Russian Federation and federal universities on its territory?
• What is the potential and what are the risks (economic, political and social) of the implementation of projects with the transfer of additional powers to universities as key players in the development of the territory?
• How does a constituent entity of the federation assess the potential of private investment inflow, structuring of concession and PPP projects for the development of the territory? How can universities participate in such projects?