INFORMATION MODELING TECHNOLOGIES — A DRIVER OR A BARRIER TO DEVELOPMENT OF THE RUSSIAN CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY?
Mikhail Viktorov, President of the Association "National Association of Organizations in the Field of Information Modeling Technologies"; Head of the Commission on Digitalization of the Construction Industry of the Public Council under the Ministry of Construction of Russia
Igor Manylov, Chief Executive Officer, Main Department of State Expertise
Konstantin Mikhaylik, Deputy Minister of Construction and Housing and Communal Services of the Russian Federation
From January 1, 2022, the construction industry switched to the mandatory use of information modeling technologies (IMTs) in the public procurement system. In the next few years, digitally designed construction projects will go through an active construction phase, after which the digital twins will move into a long-term operational phase.
In fact, the construction industry in Russia, and then the housing and utilities sector have entered a large-scale phase of industrial technological revolution. The result is expected to be a significant increase in discipline and transparency at public construction sites, saving time and money. It is discussed that in the future the same transition is possible in the non-state sector, particularly in housing construction.
• Is the construction industry ready for radical changes?
• What has been done and what remains to be done? What are the priorities for the coming years?
• How will the labor market change, will there be new requirements for qualification and specialization of workers and engineers at Russian construction sites? Who trains new staff and how?
• What is the industry's reliance on Western software? To what extent will it be possible to protect information security of Russian construction sites? What is being done to do this?
• What is the attitude of business towards the implementation of IMTs? What do construction holding companies expect from the government? Are there differences in the implementation of advanced technologies in different segments of construction — residential, industrial, construction industry?